January 2021 issue of Practical Wireless
A look at IC-705 accessories, two antennas from Moonraker. Starting on a budget, a 40m directional antenna, mobile phone frequencies and more.
The January 2021 issue of Practical Wireless is now available. Here are some of the highlights:
- Practical Portable with the Icom IC-705 and Other Radios: Richard Constantine G3UGF goes out and about with the IC-705, reviewed last month.
- The Festive Antenna: Mark Foreman G7LSZ/SA6BID offers a fun Christmas project, with a set of challenges to readers.
- Reviewed – Two Antennas from Moonraker: PW editor Don G3XTT tries out two versatile antennas from Moonraker.
- World of VHF: Tim Kirby GW4VXE reports on some interesting propagation on the 2m band, and also on a picture net using D-STAR.
- Doing it by Design: Eric Edwards GW8LJJ describes a 3.5MHz to 14.35MHz Modular Direct Conversion Receiver.
- What Next: Colin Redwood G6MXL looks at eQSL and compares it with Logbook of the World. He also recommends a downloadable book to help those struggling with the maths for the Full Licence.
- Notes from a Small Station: Joe Chester M1MWD ponders the problems of local noise and how to get round them.
- Practical Antenna Models, Volume One: Keith Rawlings G4MIU recommends another antenna book for your radio library.
- Data Modes: Mike Richards G4WNC has a few extra FT8 tips plus some inside details on the new Pi 400 and the RX888 32MHz 16-bit direct sampling receiver.
- A Simplified Directional 40m Antenna, Part 2: Bob Whelan G3PJT completes his design for a 40m directional antenna system.
- Kits & Modules: Geoff Theasby G8BMI starts with a ‘silly’ project and follows up with a more serious programming cable!
- Valve & Vintage: Bernard Nock G4BXD has an interesting addition to his collection and also trawls the Museum for equipment that works on the microwave frequencies.
- Carrying on the Practical Way: Tim Walford G3PCJ and Geoff Budden G3WZP introduce a project that can be used by an individual or clubs to introduce youngsters (or oldies!) to the concepts of communication.
- Making Waves: Steve White G3ZVW looks at the characteristics of the different frequencies used by mobile phone operators.
- Amateur Radio on a Budget, Part One: Daimon Tilley G4USI introduces a new series focusing on how you can get started in the hobby on a budget.
- HF Highlights: Steve Telenius-Lowe PJ4DX notes a significant increase in solar flux, reports on some personal milestones and has news of a Silent Key.
- Learning/Improving your CW with CWops and CW Academy: Daimon Tilley G4USI recounts his experience of improving his CW under the tutelage of CWops.
- PW Competition: Win the Bantenna, as reviewed last month by Don G3XTT.
- Readers’ Letters: Topics this cover lots of ground from standards and RF earths to CWops and a recent Valve & Vintage piece.
Content continues after advertisements